Monday, February 27, 2012

Chick Pea Bites!

I like to snack, on healthy things. Which is typically hard. If you pick on grapes everyday, you are going to get sick of grapes. If you pick on low fat popcorn everyday...you are gonna eventually get sick of popcorn.

I like to try and "beat the system" as you will hear me frequently say...The system of thinking all super healthy food tastes like crap, and that all delicious food is out of reach for our weight loss progression.

NOT TRUE!

I make two different batches...

With one I take a whole can of garbanzo beans (chick peas)...I drain and rinse them in a colander and pat em a little with a paper towel..You want them damp, not soaked.

I spray a baking sheet with zero calorie spray. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

I spread the chick peas on the pan and sprinkle with cayenne pepper, adobo, and garlic powder. At this point this is your recipe, so you can add tons of onion powder and make onion bites, do all garlic and make garlic bites, throw on some parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, and garlic and make italian bites. Whatever you wanna taste on those bites, go for it! Besides the parm cheese, all seasonings for the most part are calorie free. The options are endless.

Hell, you could even marinate the chick peas overnight with some vinegar and a little salt and make salt and vinegar ones!

Bake for 20-30 mins. Check after 20 and if they are crispy enough with out burning, take em out...if not, leave em in a little longer.

Boom. Are they the equivant to cheesecake bites, doritos, or a nice 300 calorie crescent? No...but they are good for you. Healthy fat, protein, and aren't full of sugar or preservatives.

My favorites however, are made just how you prepped the ones above. Drain, rinse, pat. But in this batch I toss them with a few packets of splenda and cinnamon powder. I toss em with my hands and I taste em to see how sweet they are and if I need more splenda. You can also add nutmeg and even a tsp of vanilla extract and toss for more flavor. Baked 20-30 mins. Amazing. Zero calories again for splenda, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg...It is a beautiful thing...

YOU WILL NOT LOVE THESE IF YOU DONT LOVE CHICKPEAS...but if you do...you will be addicted.

There are 350 calories in each can, so I suggest portioning into 3rds or 4ths. But the choice is up to you! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment