Monday, February 27, 2012

12" Whole Wheat Thin Crust Magic!

A normal, typical 12" cheese pizza runs at least 1600 calories for the entire thing. 1/8 of a pizza being at least 200 calories...

Instead of feeling terrible for eating a slice of guilt, I make my own pizza at home...but in a nice, quick manner.

I eliminate the white dough and buy pre-made 100% whole wheat 12'' thin crust pizza crusts,

Generally these crusts should be 100 calories per 1/6 slice...making the entire crust 600 calories. You don't need all that extra dough to satiate your pizza cravings...nor do you need a pound of cheese!

I also divide the pizza into the typical 8 slices.

Now this recipe is for a white pie, but you can add your own tomato sauce...I never recommend jar sauces...but I am an Italian woman who loves to cook...that is just sacreligious.

You can also add veggies or eliminate veggies depending on your preference...as long as you keep oil out, the cheese portions low, and the fatty meats off, you can add as many veggies as youd like...Olives can be high in fat if too many are consumed so that is the only topping I don't overkill...Weight watcher folks...the pizza with the veggies is 2 pts per slice! And calorie counters with all the veggies I put on mine I ring in at a whopping 140 calories per slice. With way more healthy nutrients than a piece of cheese pizza covered in grease.


I get a large baking sheet, or pizza stone...and preheat my oven to 350 degrees...

Spray the baking sheet with zero calorie cooking spray...lay the pizza crust down.

I spray a few pumps of my I cant believe its not butter over the crust.

I chopped up fresh garlic, about 2 large cloves. Sprinkled that on top. Then I took a tsp of fat free ricotta and placed that dollop around the pizza 8 times (one per slice)...I shook over some reduced fat parmesan cheese...no more than 2 tbsp for the whole crust. I sprinkled about a 1/4 cup of part-skim mozzarella cheese over the crust and then came the veggies!

I used about half of a cup of artichoke hearts
One cup of fresh spinach leaves
Half a cup of fresh chopped basil
8 black olives sliced thin
I love mushrooms so I used about 3/4 of a cup
My mom doesn't love onion but I would normally add some red onion or even a few jalapeno slices for some heat.

I then sprinkled another 1/4 cup of the mozzarella, gave a good sprinkle of garlic powder and oregano and popped that bad boy in the oven...I cannot stress to you how amazing this pizza was. If you were to order a white pie like this with all the ingredients from most pizza places you are looking at at least 300+ calories per slice!

Have fun with this...get to know fresher and healthier ingredients...and pile em on up! A little cheese can go a long, long way...don't drown your pizza in cheese and grease, it just isn't worth it.

SIDE NOTE: I am a dipper. I am notorious for dipping my pizza crust in ranch...if you too, have a dip addiction here are some awesome alternatives to ranch dressing dips (which yall know fat free ranch is frigen foul, so you are totally using full calorie dressing I bet)..

You can pick up the ranch dressing mix packets in the dressing isle and instead of using fattening sour cream get fat free or atleast light sour cream as an alternative...2 tbsp of that is about 70 calories as opposed to 140 calories for ranch...OR...try using the ranch mixes with nonfat plain greek yogurt...it is a beautiful thing and tastes even better for about 30 calories for 2 tbsp...OR my fave, especially with a veggie pizza, TZAZIKI SAUCE! A greek yogurt made with garlic and cucumber and dill...phenomenal and only 35 calories for 2 tbsp...that is bad ass if you ask me.

I also top my pizza with a little srirachaaa sauce for heat which will also help you feel full quicker.

Enjoyyy

No comments:

Post a Comment